Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Books You "Must" Read This Summer

I recall reading a hilarious blog about a year ago where the author took a bunch of classic novels and added quotation marks to a word or two making them ironic and funny. Every couple of months I see a post on Facebook that would warrant a re-post of this original blog, yet for the life of me I can't seem to find it.

Here is my shoddy attempt at remembering some of the funniest titles. Promise me you'll imagine an ironic eye roll or sarcastic side-eye as you read each word in quotations.

The "Great" Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Red Badge of "Courage" by Stephen Crane

Of Mice and "Men" by John Steinbeck

Pilgrim's "Progress" by John Bunyan

"Little" Women by Louisa May Alcott

The Portrait of a "Lady" by Henry James

As I Lay "Dying" by William Faulkner

Crime and "Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

The "Good" Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Lady Chatterlay's "Lover" by D.H. Lawrence

"Great" Expectations by Charles Dickens

"Persuasion" by Jane Austen

"Sense" and Sensibility by Jane Austen

::also works the other way::

Sense and "Sensibility" by Jane Austen

Paradise "Lost" by John Milton

The House of "Mirth" by Edith Wharton

As You "Like" It by William Shakespeare

"Beloved" by Toni Morisson

"Common" Sense by Thomas Paine

That's it for now. There are probably hundreds more. Feel free to post your favorites below!



1 comment:

Nathan said...

Just using some of the books on my shelf...

A Beautiful "Mind"

All the "Pretty" Horses

The "Count" of Monte Cristo

And my personal favorite...

The "Brothers" Karamazov