Monday, March 29, 2010

The Overuse of ;)

Hello, my name is Will, and I'm addicted to emoticons.

QUICK BACKGROUND: On a given workday, I have between four and twelve instant message chat screens running on my desktop. If my boss asks, they're all for work. In reality, maybe 25% of them are coworkers, but we're really just discussing the latest 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World' trailer on Apple. Clearly, iChat is another addiction, but I'm not even close to dealing with it yet, so we'll just focus on the ":)" and ":D" and ";)" for now.

There it is... the "wink." The most notorious of my emoticons. The problem is, I don't always like to express what I'm REALLY thinking on instant messenger. Or, I want to soften a criticism by veiling it as a joke...or making it "flirty."

If I winked at somebody as many times in one conversation as I ";)" while chatting online or exchanging Facebook messages, I think I'd be offered a bottle of Clear Eyes.

So right here, right now, I'm putting it out into cyberspace that I will no longer (read: greatly reduce the number of times I...) use emoticons to fill an awkward void, respond to a comment without really responding to comment, or flirt without creativity.

Come to think of it, maybe this will curb my iChat addiction, too. ;)

No comments: