Friday, March 27, 2009

I HATE YOU, CHRIS COLUMBUS...More 'Wild Things,' Please.

This week saw the debut of two movie trailers I have been anxiously anticipating, based on two books that I totally love. Soo... Do you want the bad news or the good news first?

Seems bad news has been in copious supply these days, so I'll hit you with that...

I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER

Until I'm given some other reason to be excited about it, the film adaption of Larry Doyle's brilliant, side-splitting, heart touching novel (which is a great send-up of John Hughes' teen comedies) will be referred to as I Hate You, Chris Columbus. This trailer makes the film look so incredibly generic. The dude playing The Coove gets on my nerves. And while I originally thought Hayden Panettiere was an excellent choice for the titular character, the trailer makes her seem incredibly one dimensional (which, you'll find if you read the book, is the exact opposite of Beth Cooper).


I know it sounds like I'm reviewing an entire movie based on 2 minutes of material, but isn't that what trailers are for these days?

Now, on to happier news...

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

All I can say is I was blown away by this trailer. After the ori
ginal stories of all the reshoots, and constant delays, I was really worried that this movie was going to be a disaster. This trailer won me over, 100%. It looks fun and emotional. Incredibly endearing. The Wild Things look awesome. Max looks like a perfect casting choice. Oh, and the music! I believe the music makes this feel like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for all ages. Spike Jonze (it seems) has taken genius source material in Maurice Sendak's picture book and given it wings.

I know it's a just trailer. But, I have to admit that this is the first trailer for a movie this year that has me geniunely excited.* I guess I have to wait through the humdrum summer months before finding out if Where the Wild Things Are lives up to my initial excitement.

*I will admit that the most recent Star Trek trailers are growing on me. And, it almost goes without saying, but the new Pixar movie will probably be pretty good.

2 comments:

Kyle Leaman said...

Where the Wild Things Are seems to be the first film from the fall season to be truly excited about. Spike Jonze is a genius, its hard to picture that the man responsible in large part for Adaptation and this film is the old naked woman from the Jackass films.

Steve Oldford said...

i couldn't agree more. i was worried about the reshoots also, but it may have been for the best.

chris columbus should just stop. if he wants to make movies he should shoot special movies for nickelodeon, or the disney channel where his pedestrian takes on narrative go unnoticed.