Monday, February 9, 2009

Disney & DreamWorks sittin' in a tree...


It's official, folks. DreamWorks just couldn't make it work out with Universal and now they're heading over to the Mouse House. Of course, DreamWorks Animation will remain its own entity (and continue to pump out awful sequels to their most wretched movies).

At this point, I think Dreamworks is basically like the really slutty girl in high school who got loads of action but never found love. Let's hope this time it's a match made in heaven.

This brings back memories of those nasty 2005 rumors about Spielberg directing a version of Mary Poppins based on the stage musical based on, well, Mary Poppins. Don't believe me?

I seriously doubt that would ever happen...but after five Saw movies and one more on the way this October, I've learned my lesson in saying "never."

In the meantime, I'm open to taking bets on how long it'll be before Spielberg and Co. is looking for a new production deal.

My money's on 2 years before a quick jump to Sony. If that fails, they're pretty much left with Lionsgate. I'm sure America would flip to see a Steven Spielberg/Tyler Perry co-project. Come to think of it, Tyler Perry does have that nice new studio in Atlanta. And can you imagine Mr. Perry himself stepping behind the camera to lense a version of The Color Purple based on the stage musical based on Spielberg's THE COLOR PURPLE?!?!

My only hope is that Tyler Perry also dons his customary drag to play Sofia.

But, then again, everyone knows you don't mess with Oprah!!

6 comments:

John Sherrod said...

So Dreamworks Animation will not be joining Disney? If they were, I was going to ask if they were still planning to rip off every CGI movie Disney puts out...

ChillwithWill said...

DreamWorks Animation established itself as its own separate entity back before the live action division moved to Paramount in '06.

Let the crummy rip offs continue for many more moons.

Kyle Leaman said...

Unlike the Mouse House who makes sure that sequels to their animated fair never get made. Well...at least never get released in theatres.

I'm one of the few who thought Shrek the Third wasn't great, but a funny addition to the Shrek film series.

Bethany said...

I saw this news on the Wall Street Journal site and thought of you. I like your version better than the Journal's. ;)

ChillwithWill said...

I'd like to think I add a little flair that the journal just seems to lack. :P

Anonymous said...

That's right, you don't mess with Oprah...and these people know why: http://oprahantichrist.blogspot.com/