Monday, January 12, 2009

Which retro celebrity will be hip again in 2009?

William Shatner, David Hasselhoff, Chuck Norris.

Icons from yesteryear have made a comeback in the new millenium. Do a YouTube search for any of the above and you'll see what I mean. Better yet, just scroll through a few Facebook flair boards and count the number of Chuck Norris references.

So, since I'm still looking at 2009 and trying to figure out where this year is going to take me, I'd like to pause a moment and make a few predictions about the direction in which pop culture is headed. Namely...retro celebrity reemergence pop culture.

In 2009, pop culture will (or, in my humble opinion, SHOULD) be all about LEVAR BURTON.


That's right folks, Lt. Commander Geordi La Forge...and your host for Reading Rainbow.


I cite the emergence of warring identities @LeVarB and @levarburton on Twitter (combined, they have over 10,000 followers) as proof of LeVar Burton nearing his pop cultural tipping point.


YouTube videos, 'Nip/Tuck' guest appearances, a spot on 'Dancing With The Stars'... LeVar, I'm counting on you buddy. Let's have your agent make this stuff happen, pronto!!

So, what are your thoughts? Which retro pop culture celebrity do YOU think should be "rediscovered" in 2009?



4 comments:

danast said...

hellz yah geordi enspired me two reed an luk how eye terned out.

danast said...

wups, eye spelt 'owt' rong.

K.S. Meyer said...

Werd--I agree it'll be Levar Burton this year, and my reasoning is thus: Shatner and Norris have already had considerable exposure--the latter, especially, after Mike Huckabee's campaign, and I think they may have already peaked in 2008. The good Commander Geordi LaForge, on the other hand, is due for a comeback!

This is Kyle, by the way (as you probably could tell from the profile picture). Just saying hi! I came across your blog through facebook and have enjoyed reading through some of your past entries! Good stuff. :)

micahmcmillan said...

I got a trackback embedded url!